The tasks carried out by the Council for Research and Technology Development fall into seven categories:
- Advising the Federal and State Governments (Länder) and, if requested individual Government Ministers, on all matters regarding research, technology and innovation.
- Drawing up guidelines for a long-term Austrian RTD strategy and monitoring its gradual implementation. Drawing up proposals regarding the definition of key areas for national research and technology programmes and for funding policy for all research, innovation and technology-oriented institutions with federal participation.
- Making recommendations to strengthen Austria’s position in international research and technology programmes.
- The independent submission of proposals for national research and technology programmes, taking into account collaborative international research and technology programmes involving all research, innovation and technology-oriented institutions in which the Federal Government participates.
- Drawing up proposals to improve cooperation between science and industry, in particular by bringing together university research and applied research and technology development at the level of individual enterprises.
- Developing proposals that conform to international standards for monitoring all research, innovation and technology-oriented institutions in which the Federal Government is involved.
The Research and Technology Funding Act (FTFG) provides the statutory basis for the establishment of the Austrian Council and also defines its tasks. You can download the Act here (German). The passages concerning the Austrian Council can be found in Article 2, Paragraph 17 (page 11ff).